Talking Classics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talking Classics

We love video games but were talking classics here

+3
tim
Chapel
deadpixels
7 posters

The Sega Channel Appreciation Thread

deadpixels
    deadpixels

The Sega Channel Appreciation Thread Empty The Sega Channel Appreciation Thread

Post by deadpixels Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

I've long believed that of all Sega's innovations in the '90s, and lord knows there were many, the Sega Channel was one of the greatest products they marketed. I have many great memories of long Summer nights, trying my damnedest to plow through whatever RPG I was playing before the next months catalog of games showed up. Staying up until ass o'clock the first of every month to see what new games were on the menu, and last but not least, the awesome "Test Drives" section which allowed you to play unreleased games.

I know Nintendo did something similar in Japan with Satellaview, but dammit, I'm American, I eat hamburgers, and the Sega Channel sparked my nads like no other.

Does anyone else have any fond memories of the Sega Channel?

I stumbled across this on Youtube and it brought back a flood of good memories.

Chapel
    Chapel

The Sega Channel Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Sega Channel Appreciation Thread

Post by Chapel Wed May 04, 2011 10:01 pm

I wanted this SO BAD as a kid. In fact, it's why I finally got a Genesis in the first place as I am a Nintendo man at heart.

Never got it though... I actually hoped that when the internet got around to talking about it, it would turn out to suck.

NOPE Sega fans love it. :'(
    deadpixels
    deadpixels

The Sega Channel Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Sega Channel Appreciation Thread

Post by deadpixels Wed May 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Chapel wrote:I wanted this SO BAD as a kid. In fact, it's why I finally got a Genesis in the first place as I am a Nintendo man at heart.

Never got it though... I actually hoped that when the internet got around to talking about it, it would turn out to suck.

NOPE Sega fans love it. :'(

Sorry to disappoint you my friend. The Sega Channel was deep fried bacon wrapped in sex. You missed out.

My mind is blown that someone actually thought to record a montage of footage of the service way back then and held onto it for years only to have it preserved on Youtube.
    Chapel
    Chapel

Post by Chapel Wed May 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Clearly the work of retrogamer time travelers.

Which, if I had the ability to travel through time, playing retro games in their original environment is like the second thing I would do.
    deadpixels
    deadpixels

Post by deadpixels Wed May 04, 2011 10:15 pm

Chapel wrote:Clearly the work of retrogamer time travelers.

Which, if I had the ability to travel through time, playing retro games in their original environment is like the second thing I would do.

I think you just inspired my life's work. Anyone know where I can get a Delorean? I'm going to party like it's 1990 all over again!
    tim
    tim
    Gamer
    Gamer

Post by tim Sun May 08, 2011 4:04 am

Disclaimer: This is for people that had the internet before there was an internet... etc etc
    Chapel
    Chapel

Post by Chapel Sun May 08, 2011 4:06 am

Are you suggesting the internet wasn't around in 1996? Even AOL was in operation by 96.
    tim
    tim
    Gamer
    Gamer

Post by tim Sun May 08, 2011 4:23 am

No. uh inter'nets' were invented in bible times to collect data on fellowship - inviting them to share more and more info on themselves until they could be properly replaced with a robotic replicant, tailor made to interact with humans in there natural habitat. Stupid human, uhh no.
    tim
    tim
    Gamer
    Gamer

Post by tim Sun May 08, 2011 4:25 am

side note - hands up - anyone using the AOL internets in 96 - anyone? word of advise - "wikipedia is written by time travelers" - they are always trying to be right about stuff
    deadpixels
    deadpixels

Post by deadpixels Sun May 08, 2011 10:45 am

Honestly, I'm having trouble seeing what you're getting at. Where does the internet come to play in this subject? Neutral

retrogasim
    retrogasim
    Fanboy
    Fanboy

Post by retrogasim Sun May 08, 2011 1:57 pm

I had a neighbor who had the sega channel and I was over at his house playing it every chance I got. I was so jealous of him...but I did like my nes (which is what I had instead of a genesis)
    HoboFox
    HoboFox
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by HoboFox Mon May 09, 2011 10:10 pm

I remember getting to use Sega TV for ONE day, over at a friends house. Man, that was one great day.
    SegaSoldier
    SegaSoldier
    Fanboy
    Fanboy

Post by SegaSoldier Tue May 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Sega Channel was awesome when i was a kid--I remember playing that thing all day, everyday during the summer! I remember the x-band ad's too--anyone played/used that accessory???
    brunoafh
    brunoafh
    Fanboy
    Fanboy

Post by brunoafh Tue May 10, 2011 5:11 pm

I loved the Sega Channel. It was so fucking awesome.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 am