Talking Classics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talking Classics

We love video games but were talking classics here

+3
AARST
Czernobog
Marulu
7 posters

What do you think about the WII U?

Poll

What do you think about the WII U?

[ 1 ]
    What do you think about the WII U? Bar_left10%What do you think about the WII U? Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 2 ]
    What do you think about the WII U? Bar_left20%What do you think about the WII U? Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 3 ]
    What do you think about the WII U? Bar_left30%What do you think about the WII U? Bar_right [30%] 
    [ 2 ]
    What do you think about the WII U? Bar_left20%What do you think about the WII U? Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 1 ]
    What do you think about the WII U? Bar_left10%What do you think about the WII U? Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    What do you think about the WII U? Bar_left0%What do you think about the WII U? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    What do you think about the WII U? Bar_left0%What do you think about the WII U? Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 10
    Marulu
    Marulu
    Admin
    Admin

What do you think about the WII U? Empty What do you think about the WII U?

Post by Marulu Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm

What do you guys think about the WII U?

Trailer:

Last edited by Marulu on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Czernobog
    Czernobog

What do you think about the WII U? Empty Re: What do you think about the WII U?

Post by Czernobog Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:32 pm

I think it looks uncomfortable as hell to hold for long periods of time. Especially if it turns out to be heavy. The ideas are interesting though, depending on how developers implement them into some games. I'll give it an 'ok' vote. I'm only mildly interested.
    AARST
    AARST
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by AARST Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:22 pm

I can't vote yet. I haven't made up my mind. When the name and controller were revealed I got an instant headache, this appears to go against everything Nintendo has been doing before and it frightens me. I have to think this through... There's plenty of ideas, but a lot of them don't sound practical enough. Being able to continue your game after someone else has taken over the TV, though, that is awesome.

The controller is apparently pretty comfortable. Kotaku mentioned it was much lighter than the iPad 2.
    Chapel
    Chapel

Post by Chapel Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:49 am

Czernobog wrote:I think it looks uncomfortable as hell to hold for long periods of time. Especially if it turns out to be heavy. The ideas are interesting though, depending on how developers implement them into some games. I'll give it an 'ok' vote. I'm only mildly interested.

Only thing that has been confirmed for "comfort" is that it is indeed lightweight.

I'm on the fence. Firmly. I have questions holding me back, but a few things teasing my excitement.

+Lately I've been doing PSP/PS3 trade-off playing of games. I love having the choice of small screen or my TV. It's something I'm into right now and this is RIGHT up my alley.
    +HD Nintendo games? Finally. That Zelda tech demo looks great.
    +Good third party support? Pretty much the holy grail of Nintendo consoles these days. Yes!

-Online connectivity? They've really avoided this issue and it's starting to bother.
    -HD glossing. When asked about the graphics, they've been eager to brush it off as "Yeah we got HD. Sure it's 1080p, uh huh. That's it, we got it. Now look at the screens!" like it's not everything they claim it is.
    -Controller discomfort. I'm not sold on the comfort, maybe they'll tweak it. Slidepads suck and they need more of a groove to grip on vertically for each hands.

I continue to watch in mild excitement. Smile
    Crono
    Crono

Post by Crono Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:33 am

I chimed in a "great". I really don't like the name, but I'll get used to it, more importantly, I do understand it. It's a smart name. With the Wii, they brought in this large crowd of gamers who never played games before ... and if they want to keep them (which they do) they need to give them something that will make them comfortable ... and that resides in the look of the console and the name of it. (as well as the strong support for Wii peripherals and titles)

The demos they showed, the Nature demo and the Zelda recreation of that spider fight from Twilight Princess ... are real-time running on early dev-kits with equivalence hardware. The footage shown of the third party games, of course, is from other platforms, just because ... you know, the thing doesn't exist yet.

If you look at those demos ... there's some stuff you should notice, graphically, they've all got lots of dynamic light and shadows. They've got subsurface scattering and plenty of anti-aliasing. The draw distance is particularly impressive, and it's all suppose to be running at 1080p@60, which ... as long as they don't render lower and upscale ... is nothing to sneeze at. (Sure we can have 1600p experiences on our PCs, but it's still a much more expensive machine)

They did talk about their plan for online ... which sounds much more promising than what they've said before. They want to make a non-rigid open online platform. Of course that's "open" as in free to choose, not open as is open source. So, I imagine, Nintendo understands the complaints about the Wii ... and that they're going to answer a lot of them, at the least, with Wii U.

I'd be particularly excited, actually, to see an FPS using that view screen on the zapper.
    Chapel
    Chapel

Post by Chapel Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 am

So I imagine online is going to consist of developer-run servers and registration with Nintendo keeping you connected.

Whatever, as long as it works.
    fishpicker
    fishpicker
    Gamer
    Gamer

Post by fishpicker Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:47 pm

I voted bad. that doesn't look like something i want to play. Then again, i thought the same thing about the Wii and the DS and I really liked them once I played some quality games.
    Button_Blazer
    Button_Blazer
    Fanboy
    Fanboy

Post by Button_Blazer Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 pm

It's designed for casuals. I'm still waiting for the Gameboy 2.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:13 pm