Talking Classics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talking Classics

We love video games but were talking classics here

+2
sPiN
Chapel
6 posters

Chrono series

Chapel
    Chapel

Chrono series Empty Chrono series

Post by Chapel Sun May 08, 2011 11:22 pm

Chrono series 80037d1215481800-castle-vidcons-great-webcomic-chrono_trigger-2

I imagine you're all well familiar with these games. What did you think of them? When did you first play them? Just how awesome are they, on a scale from 10 to 11?

I really love Chrono Trigger. I never got to play it as a kid, though with the internet came the gift of emulating (which is bad, kids) and I got to experience it. I think the combat is incredibly fun, the story is tight, INCLUDING all of the sidequests and what not. The perfect balance of necessity and extras.

The characters are memorable, the music is great, and the entire look and feel of the game in every time period is unique and impressive. 10.

Also:
    Chrono series Chrono_cross_boxart_jp

One of the most under rated of classics. The story is involving and pleasantly MORE complex than the original. The fate of characters, both old and new, have a big impact on you. The ideas presented in it are so well-formed they make the plots of games like Final Fantasy 8 seem half-assed. (not that FF8 needs much help in that area)

The combat has more of a strategic value to it. Its a harder game by far. Especially if you're going for 100%. Getting all of the characters is great fun.; Getting the best items and equipment too. The mood and feel of the game is certainly different than Trigger, but in a good way. It affects in a different way to see these things happen. I just love being swept away in the events of the game. I'd say I like Chrono Cross better than Chrono Trigger. I remember being so excited finding my copy of this game in an EB Games that was phasing out its PS1 stock and being quite excited. I was not disappointed. 11.
    sPiN
    sPiN
    Fanboy
    Fanboy

Chrono series Empty Re: Chrono series

Post by sPiN Sun May 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Chrono Trigger remains to this day my favourite RPG Very Happy
    And it's the small details all around that made it into the masterpiece of a game that it is. No trees in the present? Let's go plant some seeds in the past! Laughing

When I first tried Chrono Cross I shoved it aside because of the enormous size of the character roster. I thought that that would hinder the connection between me and them, that little spark that you feel when a game succeeds in sucking you into it's story and events. Oh, to be young and stupid.

Played it not too long ago. Absolutely loved it. If a Time Machine is ever created, I'll use it to go back to the past and kick my 13-year-old self right in the nuts.
    Marulu
    Marulu
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Marulu Mon May 09, 2011 4:57 am

I only played the DS version because it was the only version which ever was released in EU
    I never played Chrono Cross because it never got released in EU.....
    but Chrono trigger is one of my favourite games of all time
    and i got a question what was your first ending at chrono trgger ?

Chapel
    Chapel

Post by Chapel Mon May 09, 2011 5:08 am

Best ending. I already knew to start the fight out of the Dark Ages epoch before hand. Unfortunately, I didn't play CT in its heyday, only until about 2000, 2001 when I'd already been exposed to details about it.

Spoiler:
    Embarassed
    Marulu
    Marulu
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Marulu Mon May 09, 2011 5:13 am

ohh i see that happend to me too the first time i played it but i was clever enough go at the left room whit the flying eyes always in and out grinding exp until i was lvl 50 xD
    Crono
    Crono

Post by Crono Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

That's a shame, there's no real point in grinding in CT (one of it's many assets). My first ending was:

Spoiler:

You guys should really play the SNES version, either on SNES or the VC release when it comes out. The PS1 and DS versions are altered to make the endgame easier and add dungeons that really don't add anything to the game but detract from the flow.

So, of course, I love Chrono Trigger ... I don't think Chrono Cross is THAT underrated, I mean it's not like people didn't play it (everyone played it) ... it's problem is ... it's not a real sequel. There's only minor hints at plot threads between the games, and the spirit of the first game is definitely not there. I don't think anyone wanted them to take a more-final-fantasy-disconnected route with the game, they wanted a continuation of the story.

I'd say, Chrono Cross ... is not a bad game, at all, it's a pretty good game ... it's just one of the worst sequels I've ever played. It really should have just been its own thing (which I imagine it was at some point considering how different it is)
    Chapel
    Chapel

Post by Chapel Mon May 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Actually the first time I played it was the SNES ROM. silent

Also, I DO believe CC is underrated BECAUSE it's such a loosely tied sequel. Personally, I like that but I can totally see people wanting a complete tie-in original. Which is what I DIDN'T really want as sequels sometimes detract from originals, but if given enough space can allow the original to stand on its own. I don't really know how successful it was though, I knew most people played FF8 or were waiting for FF9 or many had moved onto the Dreamcast or PS2. It was a weird time for games to come out on PS1, especially ones with loose ties to a niche franchise. I do know however I've rarely seen it discussed online or off without the primary subject being that it wasn't "The Continuing Adventures of Crono and His Friends" So a lot people that DID play it didn't like it because of that.

I think it has an interesting story and is basically how I like sequels done. Ties to themes and places and things (Dinopolis is from a timeline where the Reptites win, that frozen sea is caused by a dome from 2300 A.D., the MacGuffin and final boss are both "pieces" of the boss from CT, military trouble is caused by a throwaway town from the original,) from the original while trying to tell a brand new story. But that's just me. I like shit like that and reading comics like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure where the storylines are only loosely connected.
    Crono
    Crono

Post by Crono Mon May 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Well CC sold over 1 million copies upon release and was re-released twice. That's not something I'd describe as "underrated". Especially if you look at the scores it received, they're almost all unanimously perfect scores, or near it.

I'd just like to think of it more as a spin-off than a sequel. I think most people wanted to go back to that world of CT ... and it simply wasn't there in CC. I know that's how I felt, and how everyone I know who's played it felt. Nothing against the game itself, of course, I just, don't think it's a very good sequel.
    HoboFox
    HoboFox
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by HoboFox Mon May 09, 2011 10:36 pm

I still have my SNES, as well as my SNES copy of Chrono Trigger. There's just something about playing a game on it's original system that feels so much better than roms or ports. I was trying out my friends copy of CT on the PS1, and I remember being really annoyed by a few changes in the stat listings, and some slightly off-key dings and boops.

Chrono Trigger will always be a fantastic game though, no matter what you're playing it on.

Also, the extra dungeons that came with the DS version...were those any good?
    Marulu
    Marulu
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Marulu Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 am

HoboFox wrote:I still have my SNES, as well as my SNES copy of Chrono Trigger. There's just something about playing a game on it's original system that feels so much better than roms or ports. I was trying out my friends copy of CT on the PS1, and I remember being really annoyed by a few changes in the stat listings, and some slightly off-key dings and boops.

Chrono Trigger will always be a fantastic game though, no matter what you're playing it on.

Also, the extra dungeons that came with the DS version...were those any good?

those are okay.... if you finish this one you get a special ending too...

New last endboss + ending SPOILER
    Spoiler:
    Czernobog
    Czernobog

Post by Czernobog Tue May 10, 2011 2:42 pm

I loved Chrono Trigger but I've actually never played Chrono Cross. I still need to give it a fair chance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:16 pm