Talking Classics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talking Classics

We love video games but were talking classics here

+9
EspeciallyEspe
Chapel
Rantlers
ihatepeace22
HoboFox
Crono
Marulu
Czernobog
Petroxus
13 posters

Whats better??? The N64 or the Playstation 1

Petroxus
    Petroxus
    Gamer
    Gamer

Whats better??? The N64 or the Playstation 1 Empty Whats better??? The N64 or the Playstation 1

Post by Petroxus Thu May 05, 2011 12:04 pm

The n64 was a great console, we all know it. Zelda ocarina of time, Mario 64, Golden eye 007, Perfect dark and a lot of other fantastic games shaped this concole. The N64 wasn´t the oneless console at this time. The playstation 1 was the most dangerous competitor from this nintendo system. The ps1 impressed with a new disc drive and many goog titles. The PSx counts as the best RPG console ever. But now. which console was better??? the ps 1 or the n64. Your opinion counts.

*sry... but my english isn´t very good, i come from germany and have bad marks in this hard lesson.

lol!
    Czernobog
    Czernobog

Whats better??? The N64 or the Playstation 1 Empty Re: Whats better??? The N64 or the Playstation 1

Post by Czernobog Thu May 05, 2011 12:11 pm

I think they both have a different appeal. I wouldn't say either one was better than the other because the game libraries are so different. I'm a big fan of RPGs and horror games, so the PS1 had more games that appealed to my tastes as a gamer. The N64 also had some fantastic games which appealed to me, but less of them overall.

EDIT: Edited the post to remove double signature cause it looked weird.

Last edited by Czernobog on Thu May 05, 2011 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Marulu
    Marulu
    Admin
    Admin

Whats better??? The N64 or the Playstation 1 Empty Re: Whats better??? The N64 or the Playstation 1

Post by Marulu Thu May 05, 2011 12:11 pm

n64 because of the second best rpg ever paper mario!
    Marulu
    Marulu
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Marulu Thu May 05, 2011 12:12 pm

Czernobog wrote:I think they both have a different appeal. I wouldn't say either one was better than the other because the game libraries are so different. I'm a big fan of RPGs horror games, so the PS1 had more games that appealed to my tastes as a gamer. The N64 also had some fantastic games which appealed to me, but less of them overall.

--

Whats better??? The N64 or the Playstation 1 Bg6b1j
    Gaming Through the Ages Blog: http://gamingthroughtheages.blogspot.com/

i added the signatur now you postet it 2 times Razz
    Czernobog
    Czernobog

Post by Czernobog Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Yeah, I was like what is going on here? confused Then I realized that you enabled sigs, awesome!
    Crono
    Crono

Post by Crono Thu May 05, 2011 2:57 pm

The PlayStation 1 had a superior library, without a doubt (just the volume of great games is ridiculous)

But the N64 had some serious classics. So, honestly, I think it'd come down to your personal preference. I kind of hold them in the same regard, and maybe N64 a little higher, because the percentage of great games is actually higher than PS1 (just to there being less games overall), but maybe that's skewing it.
    HoboFox
    HoboFox
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by HoboFox Thu May 05, 2011 3:02 pm

I'd have to agree with Czernobog. They were both great systems for different reasons. I'm not certain if I could choose a favorite between the two, but I do remember exactly how excited I was when my parents helped me buy my N64. IMMENSELY.
    ihatepeace22
    ihatepeace22
    Gamer
    Gamer

Post by ihatepeace22 Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 pm

When I was a kid, I remember the N64 being the shit. The PS1 was barely heard of, it was like a tiger compared to a dog. All foreign and exotic.

I'm very split between the two, as PS1 had one of my favourite RPG's of all time (Legend of Dragoon) on it, but I'm going to have to go with N64 just for the sheer amount of fun I had with it over the course of my kiddie years.
    Rantlers
    Rantlers
    Gamer
    Gamer

Post by Rantlers Thu May 05, 2011 11:15 pm

I really love both of these systems to death and they each have their strong suits so this difficult. However, the PS1 launched with ESPN Xtreme Games. That thing was like Road Rash without motors...

Come on guys - thread over.
    Chapel
    Chapel

Post by Chapel Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 am

I'll side PlayStation on this one only because of the AVALANCHE of "3rd person platformers" the N64 seemed to be bogged down in. I'm sure there were some hidden gems (Winback, or Mischief Makers) but in general there wasn't much variety when compared to PS1.

Lack of RPG support really hurt it I think. When your big thing after Paper Mario is Quest 64, there's a problem. Smile
    Czernobog
    Czernobog

Post by Czernobog Fri May 06, 2011 1:07 am

Chapel wrote:I'll side PlayStation on this one only because of the AVALANCHE of "3rd person platformers" the N64 seemed to be bogged down in. I'm sure there were some hidden gems (Winback, or Mischief Makers) but in general there wasn't much variety when compared to PS1.

Lack of RPG support really hurt it I think. When your big thing after Paper Mario is Quest 64, there's a problem. Smile

My sister had Quest 64 and it was just so uh..er...eh? Maybe lackluster is the best word I could use to describe playing through that game. Clunky as well. For some reason my younger brother freaking loved it though. He could sit there and grind for hours in that game's bland landscape and be happy as hell.
    EspeciallyEspe
    Fanboy
    Fanboy

Post by EspeciallyEspe Fri May 06, 2011 9:37 am

In terms of classics, the Nintendo 64 definitely triumphs.
    Some of the best classics were released for the N64, and these games alone are enough to put the Nintendo 64 on the top of the list. You don't even have to consider graphics, controller/button-mapping, etc because the games released from the N64 are exactly what make it THAT good and THAT memorable.

Rare and Nintendo made some of the best games to date for that console.
    Most notably... The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, Perfect Dark, 007 Goldeneye.
    AARST
    AARST
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by AARST Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 am

The N64 was expensive to develop and release games for because of the memory limitations and cartridge production costs, this actually prevented many cheaper developers from releasing shovelware on the console, a term that was pretty much born on the PlayStation, where shovelware not only plagued it's library but still plagues the PS2's library to this very day.

This creates an extremely high percentage of critically acclaimed games on N64 when compared to any other console.

Hardware-wise, the N64 easily beats out the PlayStation in terms of power and graphical capabilities, but didn't support CD-quality audio processing like the PlayStation required as it was capable of playing CDs.

Even Super Mario 64, a launch title that actually uses a mere 10% of the N64's power, looks and plays far better than any PlayStation platformer released before 1997. After 1997, PlayStation managed some great graphical trickery and also incorporated analog sticks, but it never exceeded the graphic fidelity and innovative control schemes as seen in N64 titles like GoldenEye 007 or Banjo Tooie.

Nintendo 64 wins on all fronts, but I sadly missed out on videogame consoles between 1995 and 2002, when I bought myself a GameCube. The PC has always been our primary source of entertainment. Nowadays I own two N64s and quite recently bought some of the greatest titles, like Jet Force Gemini and Majora's Mask. It's an amazing machine and, like the GameCube, is in many ways superior to the console that won that console war.
    YoshiEgg25
    YoshiEgg25
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by YoshiEgg25 Sat May 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox 64, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros., Diddy Kong Racing, Pokémon Stadium, Pokémon Snap, Conker's Bad Fur Day.

All of these great games for the Nintendo 64. And I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of others.
    Chapel
    Chapel

Post by Chapel Sat May 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Since when was Pokemon Stadium considered a good game? Laughing
    YoshiEgg25
    YoshiEgg25
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by YoshiEgg25 Sat May 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Chapel wrote:Since when was Pokemon Stadium considered a good game? Laughing
    Since I only played the mini-games. Razz
    boltfan
    boltfan
    Gamer
    Gamer

Post by boltfan Tue May 10, 2011 4:41 pm

I prefer the n64 over the playstation, although they are such different machines with vastly different libraries that most people will simply pick the console they had back in the day (a day when consoles were actually different aside from a few exclusives).

The n64 has a very well rounded library with must play titles encompassing numerous genres, although the playstation seemed to refine and mold these existing genres into their modern equivalents (rpg, action, survival horror, stealth, etc). I find the n64 was initially more important for laying out the fundamentals of interactivity with a 3d world, although the sheer number of releases the ps1 saw were more important in developing the expected standards of playability. The ps1 and later dreamcast were then able to lay the groundwork for the transition to what is now modern gaming.
    retrowhiz
    retrowhiz
    Fanboy
    Fanboy

Post by retrowhiz Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:35 am

Im going to have to go with the n64 on this one. Im a proud owner of both counsels and I love them both very much. but n64 had golden eye, ocarina of time, and mario 64. all of those games represent my childhood

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:07 am