Talking Classics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Talking Classics

We love video games but were talking classics here

2 posters

Popstations and other cheap knock-offs

AARST
    AARST
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Popstations and other cheap knock-offs Empty Popstations and other cheap knock-offs

Post by AARST Fri May 06, 2011 6:51 am

We've all seen Dr. Ashen 's videos where he reviews poundstore tat and cheap LCD games, that appear to be copies of each other more than they are copies of actual videogames or handhelds.

My question is: What's the worst knock-off you've seen recently?

I am from the Netherlands and on April 30th we celebrated Koninginnedag (Queen's Day) where throughout the country people sit on their sidewalks and sell garbage. I have a very keen eye in spotting game consoles between the mess and managed to score three Sega Mega Drives and a PS2, but it's not all legal when the market is free...

Some of the tattiest ones we spotted was a fake PlayStation Famiclone with brightly colored power and reset switches, a very dirty, semi-translucent SNES Famiclone and an N64-shaped Famiclone with PlayStation-shaped controllers...
    The worst one was actually still the WiMax. That thing is just shameful.

Share your stories!
    TMM
    TMM
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Popstations and other cheap knock-offs Empty Re: Popstations and other cheap knock-offs

Post by TMM Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 am

I actually have a whole collection of fake consoles, I'll take some pictures of them I love those things.

One of the great ones is the "Super nintendo 1994 edition" Which is actually a Terminator-chip based console (Got that baby in Serbia, BOXED!), another terminator-chip based system that looks EXACTLY like a megadrive 2 (extremely shameful as well)

And of course a bunch of gameboy knock offs... but well, I wonder how shameful those are, there are only so many ways in which you can make a portable handheld
    TMM
    TMM
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Popstations and other cheap knock-offs Empty Re: Popstations and other cheap knock-offs

Post by TMM Thu May 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Here are the promised pictures, technically not LCD games... but definitely cheap knockoffs! Smile

The "MT-Drive"
    Popstations and other cheap knock-offs Imgp1710
    Comparison
    Popstations and other cheap knock-offs Imgp1711

And now for the "Super nintendo new model"
    Popstations and other cheap knock-offs Imgp1712
    And here it is in it's full glory
    Popstations and other cheap knock-offs Imgp1713
    Also have a couple of games
    Popstations and other cheap knock-offs Imgp1714
    Such as (bet you never saw that edition before) Wink
    Popstations and other cheap knock-offs Imgp1715

Hope you got a kick out of this, I sure did Smile

Once I've unpacked more of my crap, I'll upload some pictures of my 'fake handhelds'

Last edited by TMM on Thu May 12, 2011 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : upload fail)
    AARST
    AARST
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by AARST Thu May 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Why does that MDII have an MDI power switch? Weird... Also, it's really an NES, isn't it?

Those cartridges are extremely shoddy and cheap. Wow.
    TMM
    TMM
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by TMM Thu May 12, 2011 4:25 pm

yes, both of them are nes-like, they use a "Terminator chip" which was essentially a pirated "NES on a chip" type thing.

If you want I can open one of them and show some pictures of the insudes
    AARST
    AARST
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by AARST Fri May 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Oh yes, please do. I really want to know if the PCB is at all bigger than the visible connector parts. Are they actually full games or also knock-offs?
    TMM
    TMM
    Retro gamer
    Retro gamer

Post by TMM Fri May 13, 2011 7:06 pm

alright! Smile Pictures coming up tomorrow Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:46 am